Monday, January 11, 2010

Heavenly Halo

December 31, 2009 was significant in many ways.  It marked the end of the year, of course, and also (debatably) the decade of the "zeros" or "naughties".  :)  It was also the second full moon for the month of December, known as a "Blue Moon".

In addition to all that, it was also only the second time in my life that I've seen a "moon halo":


(Click the image to enlarge.)

Moon halos occur when ice crystals in the atmosphere reflect light from the moon, similar to a rainbow.


(Click the image to enlarge.)

Both photos were taken by me, from San Jose, CA, with a 15 second exposure.

It's unfortunate I got those power lines in the picture.. wish I had noticed that at the time.  Oh well..  I'll get a better shot next time!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment