Sunday, December 6, 2009

Avatars

Back in my day, we didn't have "avatars". There were no graphics; just text. So we didn't have a visual stand-in for our real life self. Instead we had "handles", a name we would use online. Mine was Radagast.

I don't do any online gaming, so I haven't ever had an avatar, or even pretty much ever used the word before. Two upcoming events have changed that, though:

Two "Avatar" movies are coming out soon. Both are completely unrelated to eachother. But both appear to be about a conflict/war, in a sci-fi/fantasy setting. Both look visually stunning. Watch and see:

Avatar:


(Go watch on YouTube in fullscreen HD.. it's much better!)

Avatar: The Last Airbender:


(Go watch on YouTube in fullscreen HD.. it's much better!)

I never watched the Nickelodean cartoon series that "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is based on, and I have no idea what the first "Avatar" movie above is based on, but both look like they could be amazing movies. I can't wait. :)

And just to continue the Avatar motif, here is a music video called, "Do You Wanna Date My Avatar":


(Go watch on YouTube fullscreen.. it's much better!)

Of course, that video is only funny if you've watched The Guild (http://www.watchtheguild.com/), a video series about a group of online gamers. The main character is also the main character in this video. I highly recommend watching the whole series.

How weird that "avatar", a word I've used less than 10 times my whole life, has become the word of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment